Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Offending Comments

Her friend's son got tickets to NDP and she asked if her son got any. He doesn't. The last time he got one was before we got married and it naturally went to mummy dearest.

Every year without fail, she would without ask. Every year since then, his reply was always the same: "They don't give to government service personnel anymore."

Every year she would quote someone who got it.

This year her friend's son, a Major by rank in the Navy got some. Not one or two tickets but SOME.

Mr Liow reiterated that none in his office got any. Not even his boss, a Lieutenant Colonel.

She insisted that her friend mentioned about going for the parade and that it was friend's son who got her the tickets.

To end the conversation that's getting nowhere, Mr Liow commented: "Ok lor. 他厉害咯."

To which she defiantly agreed: "他就是真得厉害。他拿得到票。"

I asked if Mr Liow was offended after the conversation ended. He wasn't.

He didn't feel offended that his mum demeaned his capability just because he wasn't given tickets to the parade and someone else in the Navy holding one rank higher got some.

If I was that insensitive one, I can almost hear those familiar words coming at me: "你赢了咯。。。"

It didn't bother me whether he gets tickets anyway. I've never been to a parade and never dare dream of going.

Who dares to not pay tax to the Empress in the form of the sacred National Day Parade?

It's interesting that she commented: "PARENTS of government personnel are civilians." when Mr Liow agreed that they stopped giving tickets to uniformed citizens. Otherwise the stadium would be filled up by government personnel instead of the public.

She also asked why OFFICERS weren't given tickets. Officers should have priority, in her high opinion.

She can be MOTHER OF AN OFFICER one moment and a member of the public, the next.

The underlying question is: "Why do I not get to go to the parade every year! The last I went was 10 years ago. "

Maybe my parents should go bang someone's table because they have NEVER been to the parade before.

Or me, the "officer's wife", also member of the public. I've never been to a parade before too.

What makes her so special???????

Update:
He got her a ticket. He said it was by chance. Such a coincidence that he got a ticket from a colleague who'll be bearing the flag. Just one ticket.

He offered it to her just now but she rejected it. She gets to choose whether to go or not, none of my business.

But she wasn't the least bit grateful. Not a word of Thanks. And she even went "只有一张? 我一个人去 我才不要!"

Was he offended? No. He said he wasn't. That's so cool.

I wish my son grows up worshiping me even when I'm rude and mean to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment