Tuesday, November 26, 2013

To Dust or Not to Dust

I've not found any supporting articles that speak of being immuned to allergies after being constantly exposed to it.
 
Dust is an allergen.
 
They weren't allergic to Baileys and Maen's fur. Fur is NOT an allergen. Dander is (as with the dead skin I shed when I sleep with them). They had never been allergic to BM.
 
Allergen or not, the body fights when threatened. Our natural level of defenses include sneezing, then mucus, resulting in cough.
 
Do I listen to advices telling me: "You cannot allow your kids to grow up in too 'clean' an environment. They must condition their bodies to fight viruses (allergen is NOT virus, is it??)" These were well-meaning advices and I appreciate kind thoughts.
 
But as a mum, if I have the equipment to prevent my children from having to 'fight' allergens all the time, should I sit by and do nothing about it?
 
If I have a choice of throwing away that container of dust, will I choose to hear them cough and sniff the whole night?
 
Their body's natural defense to fight allergen is a gift from their Creator. No one can take that from them.
 
And I'm their mother for a reason too.
 
P.S: I'm doing what I do my way. Other mums do it their way. This is not to say whoever doesn't do what I do is a bad mum. Ultimately, we only want the best for our kids.
 
P.P.S: My kids cough and sniffle so much I'm rather used to it by now. We think we stay too near to the road now, and are surrounded by plants. The combination of road dust + likely exposure to pollen ensures the kids' defenses are constantly challenged.
 
AN has no respiratory issues. ER had recovered for slightly over a year now and been off Flixotide since June.
 
Air quality (PSI reading) at over 400 didn't render him breathless but it did make his nose run though. But at least he didn't need help breathing like before.
 
So goodbye dust. I know you are reproducing as I'm typing but it's ok. We bid farewell in another 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment