Sunday, October 2, 2011

Watchful Eyes


Was with AN at Singkids Play System at Changi Airport a while ago and she had good fun. There were some kids rougher than others and some toddlers whom AN loved to play with.

She was riding on a cart in a track when there was a traffic jam. The little boy in front didn't know how to get the cart going, so the other little boy stopped behind to wait for him to go and AN too, stopped to wait.

This little girl who probably looked only a year older than AN, dashed into AN hard. Thank God that AN's handle acted as a bumper and she wasn't hurt. I wasn't expecting an apology (most little kids forget themselves when they play too hard) but you'll be shocked to hear her shout out at AN in frustration: "Hurry up! What the hell!"

I didn't hear wrongly. She was loud and clear. Instinctively, I went to drag AN away from the little girl while scanning the playground for her parents. Was very curious how they will respond to such words from their young daughter. No parents sighted. I glared at her and she glared back defiantly. Not a hint of fear at being glared at.

AN wondered why I took her away, so I told her there was a little girl who wasn't ready to play nicely. As I led AN away, I looked back and there the girl was, still glaring back at me. AN saw and then commented that she will not play with naughty children, to which the girl responded while pointing at AN saying that she too will not play with her.

Where are her parents??

Finally, I caught sight of her guardian. It was her domestic helper. The helper obviously dared not discipline such a little miss. I was still looking for her parents. Mr Liow too, after he noticed other parents leading their kids away from this little tyrannical young lady after a while of watching us play. I didn't let AN play with her either (AN wasn't interested to anyway).

We then realised her parents were peacefully having dinner outside the playground. Even when the girl needed to visit the toilet, all the dad did was rudely instruct the helper: "bring her to the toilet. Go go go." Throughout the more than an hour, the parents didn't once come check on her and that time she needed the loo, the parents didn't even talk to her.

We may be wrong though. They probably weren't her parents.

Kiddy tantrums are common. But it's disturbing to see such bad behaviour not being corrected. My mum tells me kids start to behave as they grow older. I don't suppose the girl sees anything wrong with such behaviour (behaving tyrannical) when no one corrects her. How will she grow out of something she doesn't know is wrong?

And I'm uncomfortable with kids who speaks unkind words at such a young age (or at any age). "WTH" from the mouth of such a little girl and such defiance....I can't figure out how any parents will let that go unchecked.

Parents have to be really watchful for the sake of the little ones. We can't turn back time.


No comments:

Post a Comment