Sunday, August 19, 2012

Discussion or Interrogation?

We were discussing the size of a room. He thinks it's huge. I think it's big but not exactly huge. It was a discussion, I thought. And everyone has different interpretation of sizes which doesn't change the actual size.

After a while, he asked: "Why did you say the room was small?" I looked at him and he didn't appear too happy. Was that a confrontation? Over my point of view being different?

I replied that I NEVER said it was small, just didn't think it was huge. What was so important about what I thought? Was it going to change anything? Why the confrontation about what I said I thought? I wasn't aware I have no entitlements to my own views.

Or did he only mean to ask why I thought the room was small (I didn't even say anything about it being small at any time. Because I DID NOT think it was small.)

He probably didn't mean to confront me on my views. Just that like he tells me whenever I 'misunderstand' his facial expression "this is how I look", although I am sure I know how he looks when he's upset and when he's not. I see his expressions more than he sees his own, obviously.

The conversation didn't end well. I preferred not to continue because it's only going to get worse. Challenging point of views do not usually end well.

I don't challenge what you think because you have your own views. I prefer to keep mine as well, but will gladly accept yours even if it differs. If I see something I didn't notice that you did, I may end up thinking the same way. But whatever my view is, IT DOES NOT CHANGE REALITY.

No comments:

Post a Comment