Thursday, December 13, 2012

What Competes My Day

With kids who survive on air and water alone (at least for first 4 years of life), it makes me happy just to see them interested in food.

I don't like senseless snacking.

When I was pregnant with AN, I told myself I'll never give my kids sweets like MIL gave the nieces (a tube of Fruit Tips in a bowl, each. Every day.) I don't think anyone does that anyway.

When AN came, and started solids, I realized choice of snack is crucial. It gives her the energy and calories to grow because I couldn't rely on her meals. She just didn't like to eat!

So, I stopped guarding against salt, sugar and seasoning. And she ate what I cooked for ourselves. She didn't want rice, only wanted the vegetables. So be it.

Was a horror feeding her back then.

I gave her ice-cream for supper because she didn't enjoy milk. And I offered her chocolates. We made brownies together and she looked forward to eating the brownies she made.

She started nibbling. Better than nothing.

I'm trying to do the same with ER now. He's all skin and bones :(

I eat chocolates in front of him, a lot. But her never showed interest, till 2 days ago. He took a bite and that would be it. I know why I'm expanding. I'm eating 70% of ER's snacks. High calorie ones.

He still doesn't like ice-cream. That will have to change, if I sacrifice my waistline.

And he's starting to be interested in the Sarah Lee cake in the fridge. Because it's chocolate cake.

Yeah!

He had a full cup of milk (240mls) and half a slice of cake last night.

I'm super happy. Lol!

Still, no sweets. There are enough sugary snacks to give them sugar rush, and I rather they eat something sugary (if they have to) WITH NUTRIENTS THAT BENEFIT THEM.

Documenting this picture because he rarely eats like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment