Monday, April 23, 2012

Nonchalance is...


Someone was writing, seated on the sofa, and lost a pen.

AN, the little helper, started looking around for it. The one who lost it didn't bother much and told AN that it's ok because she has "lots of other pens".

AN continued anyway. I see my girl searching, I helped. The one who lost the pen, walked away to make coffee.

AN thought it could be under the sofa because we looked under the cushions and it wasn't there.

I peeked under and saw a shadow, stretched and touched it. It was not very far in and easily retrievable.

I got it out and AN excitedly ran to return the pen, asking: "Guess where we found it? It was under the sofa", she wasn't rewarded with a word of thanks. Instead, she was told: "Don't need to look for it actually. I hv many pens."

I don't care how many pens you have. My house is not a hotel. You may have many pens but I have only 2 kids. I don't need to have them comfortably resting on the sofa and unexpectedly, the pen sticks out and pokes either one of them in the eye. You didn't even care if it was on the sofa and walked away after you realised the pen was gone.

I also am not keen to have ER play with a stray pen that he finds under the sofa while I make him his meals, the one that you couldn't be bothered to look for and pick up.

So convenient to brush it off with nonchalance and words like "forget it. I have lots of pen.", like one usually does in a hotel, except that this hotel is maintained by a mum with 2 young children who happen to live in it too.

Location : 403 Fernvale Ln,

No comments:

Post a Comment