Saturday, April 21, 2012

Teaching Values


Each time we watch National Geographic or talk about people in poor countries (topic first got discussed in her school), I'd remind AN to think about how she can help them. We can donate, or when she's old enough and wants to volunteer, she is welcome to do so.

Besides school work and habits, I'm trying to help her develope world vision. There are many many others who lack what we have in abundance. Even in Singapore.

AN feels sorry for the little children we see on tv and that's when we get the opportunity to teach her to share and be giving.

But when I'm not around, MIL's reply will be: "See they so poor thing. You must save up all your money. Cannot anyhow spend."

I take it that she's instilling the virtue of thriftiness but I'd rush out to add that if we share what we have, people with less will live a better life.

Just a while ago, AN toldMIL about giving her friends gifts and MIL told her: "Don't keep giving things to others. Keep them for yourself."

I am resting in the room but hears every word.

I'm teaching my children to be giving and share. There she is, encouraging AN to hug her possessions tightly. It is natural for kids to not share what they like and that's why we teach about sharing is it not?

And she wonders why the younger niece is so stingy. Upbringing!

I sms Mr Liow to help me affirm AN that she was right to be giving. Shortly after, I heard him telling AN it's good to share.

Then he replied me saying that he spoke to her before he received my message.

I'm glad he shares the same value and felt the same urge to correct the values taught.

For that, I'm extremely thankful.

Thanks dear.

Location : 403 Fernvale Ln,

No comments:

Post a Comment