Wednesday, June 29, 2011

ER's First Fish Porridge

It's Threadfin he got for dinner last night. Or "Ngor Hee" in dialect.

Most babies in Singapore get porridge very early. Hehe. I thought I'd prefer to build up on the iron intake before giving them more of other 'lighter' food. Call me paranoid, I'd rather every calorie in their food is packed with something more than just carbo, for a start at least.

Maybe that's how I created 2 picky eaters. Hmm.....but at AN's age now, she's no longer picky and eats almost everything (other than meat, unless made to. Like me.)

Anyway, my mum made him porridge for dinner to go with his fish. Threadfin is a common fish for babies here in Singapore. Asked my mum why she ALWAYS has to insist that only threadfin is good for babies (every baby that ever went under her care had threadfin and spinach for most meals...and I cal even recall how it tasted till now, because i had it as a kid, and because I had that too when mum looked after other kids).

When I made AN's porridge, she got Salmon and Cod at a later stage...for a start, we'll just stick to threadfin.

Mum didn't believe in preparing stock in advance. She said it's no good giving babies 'overnight' food...what can I say? I'm at her place and she's doing the preparation..I'll probably make stock on my own over the weekend and bring over, because she will never agree to using 'overnight' stock and make any.

Of course if she's making soup and has freshly made stock for ER's porridge, I'm more than happy to use that. Else, I think it'd be nice to have the porridge further packed with nutrients from stock than just plain water.

I brought with me, pumpkin that I prepared the weekend that had just past. So his porridge tasted a little sweeter. Yummy.

And he seemed to enjoy that! He readily opened his mouth for more after he tried the first spoonful. He didn't stay interested long enough for me to feed him a lot but he did have about 2 tablespoonful of that meal, maybe more.

I'm hoping he remains interested! That's my hope to a better weight gain in him. He's a boy. I'm praying he doesn't remain as petite as his sister. Better if boys are big, tall and strong. Hehe.

But if not, I pray he will always be healthy.

I still have pumpkin. He's going to have the same fish and spinach for the next 2 days to trst for allergy. I'll steam broccoli to freeze in the next few days...or yes, I have avocado too. He'll have avocado in his porridge today.

Yum yum.. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment