Sunday, June 19, 2011

AN learns to spell

I'm an impatient teacher. Had been teaching AN 3 letter words and going very very slow. I've only touched on words ending with "an" and "at" but there are some days she forgets. She knows how each letter sounds and can blend them but to have her read out that word, she gets it wrong sometimes.

Maybe I expect too much. It's not as if she doesn't know those words. She needs time to get used to blending letters, given that she has only started learning phonics for less than 6 months and only sounds if individual letters.

Then something miraculous happened in the past week. She recognized "to"!! Each time we read now, she looks out for the word "to" and read it out. That includes the word "too", for obvious reasons. Hehe.

And today, while she was typing away on the notepad of my iPod touch like she used to enjoy doing (that was where she learnt spell her own name since she was slightly less than 3, before she learnt to write letters), she typed the word "of" and excitedly ran to show us.

I was so proud of that!! I haven't taught her "of". I thought we can take it slow and start alphabetical order.

Got to remember not to force her to learn...she will learn if learning is fun. If it'd pressurizing, she'll hate learning.

Judy, remember!!

No comments:

Post a Comment