Thursday, March 15, 2012

What's in my ear?



AN had been complaining of a popping sound in her right ear last Friday. I was worried about an ear infection but decided to wait and see if it would go away by Saturday.

It didn't go away but instead, starting causing her pain when she yawned and chewed. Mr Liow took her to a doctor and this was what the visit returned us: a tiny something that no one could guess what it was.

According to Mr Liow, the doctor put a scope into her ear. She bravely kept still but the doctor scraped the sides of her ear (I don't know exactly which side but according to daddy again, it wasn't anywhere bad enough to cause her to lose hearing). She started bawling (and bleeding) when that happened but stopped after she received a giant Strawberry Shortcake sticker for her bravery.

She had no idea what that was and was very sure she didn't put anything into her ear. Neither did she allow anyone to do that. I'm very certain she wouldn't do either.

How did that get in? My guess was, this was stuck to her finger without her,knowing and her ear itched at that wrong moment. Must have dropped in when she scratched her ear. Just a wild guess.

Dr said it was good we brought her in this soon. Some kids came in months later, after the ear got infected.

Ouch.... I'm thankful, very very thankful AN was spared that sort of agony (recalling that excruciating pain in my ears during the flight to Hongkong) This is something I'd hope all little children need NEVER to experience.

He gave us a bottle of antibiotics in case of an infection. I am not going to use it on her unless necessary. Till today, her ears seem fine. Again, thank God!

Why are we prescribed antibiotics so much? That's probably the only 'cure' for infections, but I thought studies are showing that bacterias are stronger these days because of the increased usage of antibiotics right?

Sigh...

Either way, I'm going pray for them a lot. Superbugsor not, I just pray they will continue to grow stronger against every new "hateful whatever" they sample along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment