Monday, April 15, 2013

Blessed birthday to my baby girl

She's always been my baby girl but as we count the number of candles on her cake each year, we hate to admit that 6 candles isn't a welcomed indication that she's a baby anymore.

Each year, we rejoice over every new milestone and frown at every new sign of struggle for independance.

My baby isn't a perfect human. She struggles with obedience, but that's normal.

She gets punished for disobedience without reason (if she refuses to obey and gives a reasonable explanation, I'll usually let her have her way) .

At this age, she accepts punishments after we all calm down from the earlier frictions. I'll explain how she will be punished, give a reasonable period during which she will not get what wanted that got her being punished for, she apologies, and we wait for the punishment to end).

Usually, punishments come in the form of having something she wanted taken away for a suitable period if she refuses to agree to our terms. There has to be boundaries. And being human, we tend to prefer our own rather than boundaries set by others.

She's growing up with her own ideas, interpretations and preference now.

Most times these days, fights involve coming to mutual agreement.

She's not a difficult child despite some difficult moments :)

She's reading rather well now (she reads for ER and I during bedtime now. I hardly have to do it, unless she or ER requests for it).

She enjoys playing on her electone (but struggles with new songs). It takes her many practices before she's finally familiar enough with a whole new song and when she can finally play new pieces, she switches the electone on to play them without having to be asked to.

I see myself in her. No matter how well she plays at home, she will fumble in class, especially when Ms Lim stands right beside her during her rounds, checking if the kids need help. Performance anxiety, as Dr Terrence Tan puts it.

She still has the shepherding spirit in her. Despite fights with ER, she displays her sisterly qualities whenever ER needs help. It's easy to get her to tolerate ER's terrible symptoms of this age when we remind her that he's still ignorant of most things. She probably hates to give in but we can see her efforts in trying to.

She loves craft work. She loves making things. She's observant and notices little details. She's sensitive and notices even a change in our expression without us having to say anything.

She actually noticed that I was unhappy while cleaning the kitchen one day and asked: "Nai nai messed up the kitchen again?" All I did was scrub the stove because there were stains from overflowed liquid that she never bothered to wipe away and those stains have gotten stubborn...

And she cries with me whenever I miss Baileys asks Maen.

She's a dear. A true gift that I need to constantly remind myself not to take for granted.

Baby, we love you. Like I told you before you fell asleep a while ago, we will never stop loving you. Not even when you misbehave. Not even when you fight back. We punish you when you refuse to be corrected but our love doesn't reduce because of these punishments.

Some people have this habit of telling you "you are so naughty, your mummy doesn't love you anymore."

All I need you to remember is, unless I tell you I do not love you anymore, do not believe what others say. They have no right to speak on my behalf.

Baby girl, continue to grow up healthy. Continue to grow up to be likeable.

May the Lord bless you with a heart for Him and His work.

We really, really love you, princess!

Blessed 6th birthday to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment