Monday, April 29, 2013

Fear

AN had been fearful of the dark after MIL suggested last year, that I should leave a light on at night. For the next few months after her comment, AN was fearful. She didn't know what of, but she was scared.

Months later, my girl declared she wasn't afraid anymore. In fact, she sheepishly admitted that torch application from my phone was keeping her awake. She confidently told me she didn't need lights anymore.

But, recently at Taiwan, we (adults) started joking and telling horror stories. Complete with youtube clips of sightings. We did try not to be too loud, in case we scare the young and old (kids and my mum).

AN was silently tuning in and participating, without us realising,  till she behaved fearful and clung to me at night and confessed she was "scared of the mirror because she saw what we watched."

I had been negligent.

So, since then, she had been clingy, especially at night. She practically sticks to my back (as I face ER to nurse him).

Even a harmless documentary about a lady without hands (lady got struck by lightning and lost her hands), terrified her so badly that she turned pale and looked away.

The clip was not in the least bit frightening. We were talking about lightning and I showed her effects of lighting online, including what MAY happen to human when struck. She wasn't afraid of the effects. She was afraid of that lady with no hands.

Sigh...

Apparently, she has no idea why she was so afraid.

Last night, I prayed for her. I reminded her about our great big God who His people, about the story of Moses, of Jericho Wall. That same God will help her control her,unknown fear.

After praying, before she fell asleep, she asked to be prayed for one last time.

Our adorable ER was soooooo cute (pardon my obsession over him). He said: "Hold hands and pray."

Then he took my hands, and forced his eyes shut in concentration.

AN felt more relieved and fell asleep soon after (while praying).

ER uttered "Amen!" victoriously. So cute la.

Read that there are other 6 years olds facing the same unknown fears as AN.

We'll walk through this together.

It's rather paralyzing to be afraid of something that one cannot really tell what. More so for a 6 years old.

ER makes it worse by talking about imaginary monsters and pretending to run away from them. Makes his sister run away, for real.

Sigh..

No comments:

Post a Comment