Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Innocence at 6 years

AN told me about a super adorable baby in her school who is "so small and cannot talk yet but can walk" and is "5 months old".

I pointed out that 5 months olds do not walk. We had a discussion that turned a little heated with her insisting "Miss Ivy said Anna is 5 months old. I'm not lying!"

I told her I'm sure she wasn't lying, but that she probably heard wrongly. Maybe Anna is 9 months (sounds like 5?)

I firmly insisted that she check with her teacher again because she can ask anyone in the world and get the same answer, that 5 months olds do not walk.

She continued insisting that Anna has to be 5 months because she's very small and cannot talk.

Sigh...

I told her what I didn't wish to tell her: "Adrielle, Mummy knows because I have children and I have known children. Please listen... I know this better than you do."

"I know better" is something I try to be careful not to use as much as I can. Because I do not "know better" everytime.

Then last night, while we were discussing about something else, she accepted my reasoning readily (very unlike her. She is ready for a debate anytime)

I asked her if she thought otherwise and she replied "No. Mummy you are right. I think you are right because you are older and know more. I must listen if not I'll grow up not knowing anything."

That was what I feared when I lost my control earlier and told her "mummy knows better".

I reminded her that mummy doesn't know better everytime, that she has the rights to view things her way. I had to explain that the earlier topic about Anna was different because we were talking about facts, not views.

She then calmly took me by the hand and whispered "Mummy, let's not talk about Anna anymore. It's over. I don't want to fight with you about it again."

Hehe.

Don't know if I should laugh or cry.

Before we ended the night, I reminded her that I enjoy hearing her views on things. And that mummy is NOT always right.

No comments:

Post a Comment