Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Milk milk milk

With a baby in the house, we just can't stop having a relationship with milk, can we?

Once upon a time, I struggled with nursing AN, then with weaning her (which never succeeded. She's just asking for it less now because she knows it's for ER more than it is for her now), then having to give her Pediasure, then making a change to formula milk after we came back to Sgp, which is not a necessity now that she's almost 5 years old. I don't know why but I just do not feel at ease till I know my kids are getting enough calcium and protein, along with other good stuff in the formula milk more than from fresh milk. AN has to have Milo mixed in her milk, so effectively, she hasn't had milk like it should be, yet.

I'm not longer worried about her anymore. I have a new one with ER, exactly what I used to struggle with AN.

Been reading about mummies who also struggle with this milk thing, one with bottle training (which I failed too, with ER) and another in giving formula to baby.

I, together with my little tiger and AN failed with milk bottle. AN had expressed breastmilk from bottle only when I was away but could no longer drink from one since we went to Tucson. I tried offering her Pediasure from bottle but she didn't like it.

I tried giving ER water from a milk bottle one day few months ago but he hated the bottle too. He would rather drink from a straw. He would sip from a sippy cup but wouldn't drink as much as he would from a straw.

Once we got the right 'tool', I tried making him formula milk which he enthusiastically sipped from his mag mag but spit out upon realizing that wasn't water -______-"

He watched me drink my low fat fresh milk and wanted some, so I gave him sone to try. He appeared interested, so I started buying full cream ones to share with him. Low fat is not enough for babies. Then he decided he didn't like milk anymore, so I had been drinking full fat milk. I'm only complaining because I'm drinking all these fattening stuff instead of the baby who needs it more....

Sabotaged.

But I enjoy milk. I enjoy cheese, yogurt, anything and everything dairy.

And both of my kids love yogurt too.

I guess I really need not worry so much about their milk intake, mainly ER's now. He still nurses, loves and gets his daily 'dose' of cheese and yogurt.

Still, it will be good if he starts drinking formula milk soon. He's not a keen eater. I'm hoping the formula milk can fill in some of what he lacks nutritionally.

Sigh....

I want to wean him but can't bear to at the same time. I have jobs coming in already (hurray!) but I'm never going to stop worrying if he will miss me, if he's going to eat when I'm out, if he will still be alive when I come back, or half dead from crying for hours.

Because most babies find comfort in drinking milk, if ER finds a new form of comfort, it's probably going to be easier for him when I'm not around?

Does that make any sense? I think I'm sleepy...

sigh.... We'll cross the bridge when we come to it.

2 comments:

  1. wow, i tot i'm the useless one hving troubles....so it's normal lor? thanks for this post...it sure makes me feel slightly better. lol
    Just hope she'll faster grow up then it won't be so bad...i hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe. No of course you are not useless. Any mums who truly struggle with their kids actually put in effort and that's commendable! Life itself isn't always smooth and I've learnt that life as mum is even worse. Majority of the time, we are left with not much of a choice. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete