Friday, November 25, 2011

Reading



My little girl is learning to read better. It's exciting when I hear her reading to herself! More importantly, she asks when she is unsure about some of those words.

That day at a Grolier roadshow, the sales lady said most Singaporean kids can read by 4 years old. I would have panicked if it was last year but by now, I'm learning not to force others' standard onto AN. I did, and she suffered under my unfair expectation.

My duty is to teach, not force her to learn. Just like I am to provide food, not force her to eat. This has always been my struggle.

We'll take it slow. Life in Singapore is always a rush. I have to remember that she has the right to enjoy life as a four year old. Benefits of a child do not last forever.

*Nods to myself* Must remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment