Sunday, December 11, 2011

Well Done Adrielle

A 'proud mummy' moment that I just have to remember:

AN was at her music class this afternoon as usual. The kids played in a group and attempted a piece (Happy Day) that was relatively new: today is the second time they played it in class. Ms Lim thought it sounded quite messy with some making mistakes, some not following the tempo and such.

I was surprised when she singled AN out and said: "Adrielle played very well. Can we get her to play and we listen to her?" I could hear AN didn't make mistakes because I was watching her but I was surprised Miss Lim could hear too.

My heart started racing as if I was the one about to perform. I was worried AN would fumble, and that would be embarrassing. I was worried AN's confidence would suffer if she fumbled and she wouldn't play out loud again.

But when AN played, she was so steady! No pressure, pure enjoyment. When everyone clapped for her at the end, she turned to smile at me. The moment was precious. She enjoyed the attention and I think her confidence soared after that. That was better encouragement than my usual "well done" and "good job".

She didn't play well for the next piece after that (See you tomorrow). It was my fault coz I taught her to practice using the wrong hands for the wrong parts. She caught up after Ms Lim got them to replay the piece a few times. With the earlier acknowledgment by her idol (she adores Ms Lim), she didn't feel too discouraged when she was not up to standard for the following piece when she would usually frown.

Got to practice enough. That will be for their first concert next Sunday. It's not a formal one but I get butterflies in my stomach at the mere mention of words like "concert", "solo", "performance".

Oh ya, this cheeky girl adores Ms Lim so much she observed details down to the color of her teacher's shoes... At the end of their class last Sunday, her last words to Ms Lim before goodbye was: "Ms Lim, I'm also wearing gold colored shoes, like yours!"

This girl...

1 comment: