Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Adrielle

I don't know how I should title this post about my little girl. This is about her.

She got me upset again, because she wouldn't take no for an answer. She asked for bubble bath but I wouldn't allow her one because she didn't want to get up after that last week. I had told her after that, that she wasn't going to get bubbles this week as a punishment. But she forgot (can't blame her. She's not time-savvy yet). And this time, gently reminding her that she is facing consequences for disobedience didn't work. My patience wore thin and I got SERIOUSLY upset with her.

Everyday now, there will be something that she haso to be punished for, either a bad behaviour, or bad habit. Mr Liow says I blow up too fast on most occasions. I guess so. I'm dealing with a 4 year old who has her own little world where she resides in sometimes. she's still little and I'm thankful for Mr Liow's reminder that I don't have to punish her for every little negative display of emotions. I need to work on myself regarding this.

Sometimes I wonder why she's more matured at 3 years old and growing increasingly childish at 4 years old now. Is it just AN, or do some children do more childish stuff as they grow older?

Mr Liow took her out for me to cool off and so that I could feed ER. Things were back to normal after they came back.

A while ago, slightly before nap, Mr Liow was helping me watch over the kids while I was in the toilet.

Shortly after, I heard AN screaming in tears and coming out of their room to look for me. First thought was: "Must have been punished by Mr Liow for being naughty again."

I opened my door to see what happened and when she saw me, she started crying and complaining. She wasn't crying in defiance or because of a punishment. She was crying because she felt painful for ER who got smacked by Mr Liow. She was heartbroken and I could hear that in the way she cried (like when I accidentally threw away a brochure she wanted for craftwork).

She recounted the event tearfully: "Ethan wanted the big pillow and daddy snatch from him, then daddy smacked him!" When she finished her sentence, she started crying so painfully I wanted to laugh. I looked at Mr Liow and he said he didn't touch her. He had no idea why she was in tears.

All these while, she had always been constantly protective of ER, reminding whoever had reprimanded ER that he's still a baby and doesn't know what's going on. She wouldn't allow anyone to scold him, let alone smack him.

I think that smack on ER hurt her more than it hurt him.

This tender hearted jie jie melted me. How could I be so upset with a little girl like that, so often? But then again, a little girl like that can be up to mischief too.

She pleaded with me to tell daddy not to smack ER and continued sobbing in distress till I told her I'd speak to him.

The moment she went into the room again, she started hugging the little boy protectively.

Whatever nasty struggle we had this morning disappeared. Thank God for opening my eyes to the sweet jie jie who's so protective of the younger one. Sometimes she's not too willing to share with him, toys that she's currently playing, but she will either find an alternative to pass to him, or let him have them after she's done.

I should be thankful. And this incident  is something about AN's love for ER that I've noticed for the first time.

1 comment: