Monday, January 14, 2013

Genevieve's Party

Baby Genevieve turns 4 and is no longer a baby. Haven't stopped lamenting how time flies! We weren't around when she was born. When we came back, she was 2 (effectively only 18 months). Now she's 4! 

The party was parent-friendly! There was a jumping castle that took the kids' attention off us (for ER, it was only for a short while.) We had time to eat and chat without having to divert our attention to needy little ones as often as usual.

ER was hesitant about the jumping castle when we first arrived. AN loves jumping castles and headed for it the moment she saw it.

AN was actually braver than ER in this. At ER's age, AN wouldn't hesitate joining her friends in jumping around.

Sweet sweet AN actually took on her responsibility as an elder sister and kept encouraging ER to follow her! She helped him up the castle after he finally dared to enter it, watched him slide off (after which he decided it was fun!) and kept him company throughout the whole play session, ensuring he didn't get trampled on.

Each time I looked up to check on them, AN would be near ER.

Many times I punish AN when she becomes selfish with ER. Sometimes, we would jokingly suggest that we'll put ER away. Because she didn't enjoy sharing. I know, it's a phase. I know, she's young. But I know too, that behaviours not corrected from young, values not reinforced from young, they become habit. Habits are hard to break.

I am aware I'm too harsh and react too fast. I'll work on that.

Anyway, this shepherding spirit in AN touched my heart. At that point, I told myself that I must be patient with AN. I mustn't destroy this loving, caring sister ER is blessed with.

What a journey motherhood is. The blood boiling, pressure building moments, versus the touching moments when the kids behave like they are the best kids, best buddies ever.

I must learn to be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment