Monday, February 27, 2012

Enjoying Schoolwork

I know it sounds wierd that AN had been working on improving her (super simple) addition during the whole vacation but that was what she enjoyed each day!

I brought a few books to read to her but we ended up reading only 1. She wanted to bring her assessment book too, so into the luggage it went.

The few nights before we packed it in, she couldn't stop working on the sums. I had to remind her to take it slow. Otherwise she will run out of sums to do during our trip.

So, after washing her up each day at the hotel, she would beg for either of us to help her.

Last night, before she fell asleep, she remembered she hadn't done a single sum and starting sobbing.

"Mummy, I forgot to do my school work today...tomorrow I want to do a lot."

Because we allowed her to watch TV (for being cooperative these few days), she forgot about her math. And she felt guilty, or simply sad.

AN is unlike what I expect in a child. I did schoolwork only because I had to. I practiced my music, only because my teacher would check on my progress weekly.

AN is familiar with school pieces and has mastered Cannon in D (super simplified version) because she heard me play it and loved it. She remembered it was our wedding song from our DVD.

She learnt the melody (short and simple first part only) by listening, and I showed her 2-note chords to accompany her right hand. She spent the half of the day, randomly turning on the electone to practice. That same night, she asked me to listen and she performed it for me.

I finally feel what my father felt whenever he heard me play for him when I was little. The enthusiasm emitted from that little body is extremely contagious!

I don't think AN is gifted though. I'm just glad she enjoys what she has to do. For that I'm very very thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment