Friday, May 20, 2011

License to Drive


Just so that non-Singaporean friends get a rough idea how it works, here in Singapore, getting a Driver's License is not easy at all. One has to pass the Basic Theory test before one gets a provisional license to learn to drive and while learning to drive, pass the Advanced Theory test before one is allowed to sit for the practical test.

And I believe most Singaporean know how hard it can be to pass the practical exam! I don't know how it works in other States in USA but I had to go for only 2 sessions of 3 hours drive each, get assessed on my 2nd session, and I passed. I think a student here has to have a minimum of 20 hours of practical lessons before being allowed to be tested.

Mum refused to keep track of how many times she failed her practical tests but I had been. Firstly, for a 59 year old lady to have the motivation to learn to drive, I think that alone is commendable enough. Moreover, I've heard of many youngsters who passed after many tries too. I will have a hard time getting my license to drive if I am to try getting it here...

This is her 6th attempt and SHE PASSED!

I'm so excited for her! She had been increasingly discouraged and embarrassed that it's taken her so long. I had to remind her that it's not how many tries she had to attempt, because it's not easy to pass.

And I think she did well this time. She scored 12 points (the lower the better. Hit 20 and she will fail. There are certain mistakes that award an immediate failure.)

Yeah!

The next struggle will be, both drivers in the family will need courage to allow her to take their wheels.

Hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment