Monday, September 26, 2011

Feeding Medicines


Ok, after more than 4 years and 2 kids, I've come to realize that kids prefer medicine given from a spoon.

AN only started receiving medicines from a spoon last year, because .... I don't know why, maybe because I expected her to hate medicines and it's easier to forcefeed her with a syringe? The 1st time she got her medicines from a spoon, she started enjoying medicines. And that's also when I realized the medicines kids get these days taste like concentrated juices. Yummy!

AN once asked me: "Mummy, do u know why I like to fall sick?". She used to tell me it's because she gets to nurse when she's sick, so she wants to be sick frequent enough.

Not anymore. Her latest answer to why she likes to fall sick now is because she likes to take medicines.

With ER, feeding medicines requires skills as well. Syringes used to work but he has learned to spit stuff out.

He has to complete his 7-days course of Amoxicilin but he pushes everything out when fed with a syringe.

The measuring spoon waved at me and I wondered why I haven't thought of using it instead. AN started enjoying medicines since we started taking a spoon, no?

I tried. And I regretted..........not using it earlier. Wasted the earlier doses of Amoxicilin and poor ER appeared so tortured. With a spoon, he slowly sips and swallows. He even takes time to taste the medicine.

Goodbye syringes....or maybe not yet. AN is back to using the syringes for medications, just for the fun of it.

Seriously, medicines taste so good these days. Lucky kids. We used to have to take crushed panadols, so bitter I thought I would never be able to taste anything else after I recovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment