Thursday, March 31, 2011

Unable to Obey?

At this stage of AN's life, if it's normal, she just CANNOT obey.

Ask her to wash her hands, she'll have to either demand for someone who's busy to help her.

Ask her not to do something, she'll do it on purpose, or even if she has a valid reason, she'll choose to jump up a tantrum instead of speaking properly.

She asks at be carried, even when our hands are full. I understand when she said she doesn't like to walk down the steps of our multistorey carpark because she didn't wasn't to step on pee. There are people who pee there. With all these foreign workers lurking around, this place is no longer what it used be.

I wonder, should I make her listen to me, just to condition her to the world out there? Coz things do not happen according to her wishes in reality. But then, I struggle with her reaction when she insists on sticking to what she's comfortable with.

It's easier to spoil a child. But, by struggling with her so much, do I spoil something else, like her trust in me that I understand and listen? Will I spoil our relationship?

Is there a better way to discipline her without changing her for the worse?

Mum says she's a very well behaved girl and struggles like these are common. At the very least, she tries to correct herself the next time. I am aware that she does try but being 4 years old, it takes more reminders before she finally 'hears' my instructions. I think I need counselling. Much as I remind myself that I need patience with AN and that she's only 4, I can't help reacting to her non-conformance in the worst way a mum can react. Just before she left for school earlier, she insisted she wanted Mr Liow to wash her hands when I was about to help her. She knew I was still upset with her and didn't want me to do it. She feared me :( My blood boiled and I walked away, back to sleep (couldn't sleep. This post is the result of it). Time out is good, even for mums. Called her after I cooled off but Mr Liow said her nose was bleeding again and he would call me back. My heart ached :( She went to school, believing that her mummy doesn't love her anymore. And the bleeding nose... Thank God it wasn't nosebleed. It was just streaks of blood in her mucus. We should be needing a humidifier in their room. After discussing, we suspect it's the dry air in the room from the aircon, but we can't do without it. Made peace with her before she stepped into class. Why do I always end up hurting my baby girl.......!? Lord, please teach me patience and self control. Please protect them while I learn to tolerate their disobedience. Keep my mouth from words that tear down and me from actions that may hurt them, especially emotionally. I'm wondering if that bit of blood in her mucus will develop into full blown nose bleed again. Please Lord, keep her safe and healthy.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment