Friday, July 29, 2011

Cant Bear

It's weekend and my dad packed my old keyboard so that we could bring it back home for AN to practise on. That was mine when I first started, meaning to say the keyboard is 25 years old! Lots of memories. Hehe.

Was feeling kind of sad when dad was packing it into its box. Dad loved to hear me play on my electone when I was young but I chose to give it up to concentrate on school.

Dad had been enjoying watching AN play on the keyboard lately (no music, just practicing "do, re and me" as homework) before I suggested bringing the keyboard back home for her to practice on.

I couldn't continue play for him and I couldn't let AN play for him long enough. :(

Mum reacted positively when I told her about the plan. She said she'd start looking for a job after we start the change. I thought about it and decided to start when AN starts K1 next year. Mum was giving AN routine hugs a while ago and casually commented that she will not be cooking for her when she starts N1. I am starting to miss coming over and watching AN bond with them.

My mum is a very proactive grandma. Probably not the best in the whole of Singapore but at least the better of the 2 that AN has. How so? Let's see:

1. My mum cooks and also finds time to bring AN out, to meet
my aunts, to the library, or simply window shopping or on LRT rides. She pushes ER for strolls with AN so I could bath.

2. Mum saves egg shells for AN everytime she makes egg dishes. And she showed AN how to use markers to draw on those shells. AN has since, made many egg faces! Simply adorable artwork!

3. Mum grows sprouts for AN after hers from school died.

4. Mum, on one of her trip with AN to library, borrowed a book from the library that teaches readers how to draw and drew with AN.

5. Mum made origami with AN with her limited knowledge of making any.

6. Mum sings with AN and listens to AN read.

7. Mum builds domino blocks for AN.

8. Mum playacts with AN! She feeds AN's imagination with imaginary scenarios.

9. I'm sure there are more I missed.

On the other hand, my MIL comes during weekends at her own convenience. When the whole lot of us were sick and Mr Liow told her so, she didn't even come earlier to help us. In fact, she came right when it was time to tuck the kids in on Friday night, spent the whole of that Saturday out and was hesitant when Mr Liow asked if she could stay home that Sunday, to help with ER while I brought AN for music class and Mr Liow was down with high fever. Very hesitant.

Mum made us herbal teas to cool us off when we were sick, MIL bought lots of durians and like she wasnt aware we were sick, said: "finish them, don't waste". Durians are yummy but no one takes them when sick...what was she thinking?

Mil never brings AN anywhere, not even to playground downstairs, she hogs the TV and AN has to wait a long long time for her turn, never does anything with AN. The only thing she does is read her newspapers and hogs the table with them after she's done, leaving lesser space for AN to doodle on.

When my mum comes over, she helps me with any housework she sees (laundry: the machine wash cycles, the hanging up and outside to dry till clothes are dried. She takes them down and folds them. Kitchen: cooking, wash and wipe whole kitchen spotlessly clean).

Mil only good at leaving sugar on tabletop to keep ants constantly visiting us, and coffeestains on coffee table without wiping. She's been coming every week since Oct but has never wiped anything in my house or even so much as glanced at my laundry basket or washing machine.

Mr Liow jokingly asked her to help mop our floor one day and she laughed. I laughed too and couldn't help blurting out: "You wait long long." And you guessed it: she didn't. Never did, never will. Even my dad helps me mop the floor when I nap with the kids for the few times we stay home.

How can mothers (and grandmas) be so different?

This is one reason why I feel so bad about having to change where we will be after AN gets off school. I want her to enjoy grandma (my mum) because this grandma puts in efforts in grandparenting her. Once mum starts working, she will see so little of AN.

As much as I can't bear to, I think the new arrangement will be better for all (and so mum and dad doesn't hv to see each other daily and get on each others' nerves). Just hope that mum will have accommodating working hours that allow her to come over to visit the kids often enough. Dad will help bring AN back, so AN will not lose a grandpa. Hehe.

6 comments:

  1. Same as mine!! From me being pregnant till now, she did NOTHING!!! She's just a grandma by name while my mum comes every now and then to help me out.
    Somemore can tell me what n how to look after baby, and exclaimed my mum spoiled Enya...said I smacked her too hard while burping etc...so many comments yet I don't see her come and help me look after baby.
    All talk no action.
    Mums are best, only our own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree lor. She keeps telling me mums are best. I silently agree that own mum is best...I can't say the same for my SIL whether she thinks own mum is best or not...

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way hor, do u blog? I want to keep up with ENya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. no leh, no time to blog. hand scribbled ones when free. ^^(dunoe where u find the time for it!!!)
    Please take care hor, seems like u all get sick quite frequent.
    Btw, got keep a bottle of 'fei-zai-shui" (gripe) for the little one?
    Helps remove wind esp when they cry alot.
    Enya sometimes cry and regurgitate her milk after, so my dr said can feed that. It helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't need to sleep already mah, remember? Haha! Can blog while nursing ER. Last time with AN before I have a wireless handheld device, my posts also weekly, or backlog from memory during weekends.

    Ya lor... Keeps getting sick :( I was told school going kids get sick a lot and not surprisingly Siblings catch the virus from them too. Dr Tan said his youngest is superman coz he sampled all sorts of viruses from his elder siblings.

    Tt day MIL just sneered at how sickly my kids are. Mr Liow reminded her the nieces also kept falling sick when young and the younger one pay weekly visits to the doctor till before we left Tucson. Nw pri sch alry still like tt.she went" ya lor...all so lousy." can't stand her comments most tines...

    I din keep wor. Only hv ru yi oil but ER gets rashes when I rub his tummy with it. Whenever they cry, I nurse. Human pacifier. This latest time also duno if ER over suckled coz he didn't get me for at least 8 hrs. After tt nausea episode, he is very very very clingy now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ru Yi You hor...i didnt apply directly on her skin...after putting on clothes i heat my palm n apply on her clothes so no direct contact but abit warm warm.
    It's very hurting to compare that way...kids go to sch sure catch viruses. If she don't have anything nice to say, it's best to just keep to herself lor.

    I can't multi-task like u yet, when i feed her, have to watch that she doesn't choke, n to catch the 'sprays'...lol me still newbie. Good enuf to have some time to come over here once in awhile, blogging i think have to wait. Wireless handheld will make it easier i think, no need ON the pc, wait, then listen for bb's cries...

    If enya cries too much, i dare not nurse her, 1st mth scares me, nurse liao vomit etc. So try not to let her cry, then if she does, will give her the gripe water abit before milk. Once i lie there with her let her buffet, n over suck then puke quite alot, so still have to keep an eye, cannot like u, pacifier.

    really hope u all get well soon, speedy speedy recovery, then don't fall sick for the next whole year.

    ReplyDelete