Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Girlfriends

My aunt brought her grand daughter (daughter of my cousin) to my parents' place this afternoon to play with AN. The little girl, Emily, is a very sweet and likeable girl. She's shy, but not too shy (AN is too shy outside home with people she hardly knows), willingly sits on my laps while I read to her and listens attentively. So sweet!

When AN came back from school, Emily appeared excited to meet a friend but AN was rather hostile. She didn't want to share her toys and literally ignored Emily.

Gone is the sweet sweet AN who would bring out her toys for friends who come over. Sigh...

Gave her time to warm up and I was thankful after half hour or so, she finally started brining her toys to Emily but she has rules she expected Emily to follow. Kept reminding her that Emily is only 3 years old and may not be able to follow her rules. She then did away with those rules and they both played freely. AN went : "Mine looks better" when I praised Emily's work with blocks. It's a good opportunity to watch how AN reacts in situations. Kids behave different when they are out of their comfort zone.

AN is little Miss Bossy. Because I told her that Emily is younger, she got overly concerned that she wouldn't know how to do things and started giving instructions, even when Emily knew exactly what to do. To be fair, AN probably didn't mean to be bossy. She just didn't know how much help is enough and went all out to do everything for Emily even when the little girl was trying to take back control.

Finally when they both got used to each other, it was time for Emily to leave.

Mum took AN along on a leisure ride on the MRT, to keep my aunt company. At the doorsteps, AN took Emily's hands after both girls put their shoes on. It was soo sweet watching them look at each other and giggle!

After an hour or so, mum and AN came back. Mum said AN taught Emily to take public transport by tapping her own EZ-link card, and pulling Emily through the gantry with her. And then both girls giggled again. Awww...sweet! Emily doesn't have her own card yet coz she doesn't travel on public transport much.

AN enjoyed time with Emily. The moment they came home after sending them off, AN excitedly asked if I could bring her to play with Emily again. I hope they get to meet again. In fact, Emily actually stays 2 blocks away from us but I do not have my cousin's number and couldn't call to arrange a play date. Moreover, both girls are mostly at their respective grand parents' place during the day. It won't be that easy anymore.

I think the grand mas will work something out so the girls can meet again. Hehe.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment