Friday, September 14, 2012

The Daddy

I've not mentioned the most important role taken up by the most important person during my absence:

Daddy

He had the toughest time among us.

Morning:

He drove to and from the hospital to keep me company (and to escape from the jungle back home temporarily, regain his sanity before returning to the screaming toddler and energy-packed 5 year old.)

I'm noting the obvious here: he sent me in, settled my admission, did my discharge and sent me home. We had lunch before stepping into the house on the day of discharge.

Noon:

He goes back to help them nap. Thank God falling asleep in the afternoon wasn't much of a chore.

Evening:

He returned to keep me company. I enjoyed it. It felt like we were dating again. Hehe.

Night:

The most horrifying of all horrors.

Daddy carried the toddler, read to him, rocked him, offered pacifier, water, Ipad, handphone. Anything the little boss wants, Daddy tried to give.

Finally, little boss is sleepy! And we thought that was good, but he started screaming for mummy and "mem mem".

When he wants mummy, HE WANTS MUMMY.. Poor daddy couldn't do anything, except carry him through his screams, till he dozed off.

The little boss took 2 hours to give daddy a good time, rested for an hour to recharge before unleashing his fury against daddy again for as long as he could. The cycle of recharging and releasing his energy carried on till dawn when MIL was awake (on Sat) or till my mum came over (on Sun) to take over so that he could finally rest before making an escape to the hospital.

And in the middle of their the first night without me, ER's cries woke AN and brought about her urge to pee. Mr Liow had to juggle a screaming toddler and urgent 5 year old.

hehe. So funny (sorry dear, it does tickle. Hahaha!)

He now cringes at mere mention of putting ER to bed.

Lol!

It is frankly not an easy task putting a young child to bed unless one does that nightly. I too, can only tuck mine in and have no confidence with others. I can try, but I'd probably end up struggling with a very upset child and not sleeping too.

Mr Liow did a fantastic job! Although ER didn't accept any of daddy's substitution of me those 2 nights, he actually preferred his water bottle to me the first night I came back.

On my first night back, after falling asleep, ER was confused, had nightmares, during which he actually appeared awake, visibly upset and threatened me: "I beat you!" and he did walk over to me a couple times and beat me... I'm left wondering if MIL had been threatening him while daddy was away visiting me! *heartache* this is something I've never, ever experienced from him! I can't even trust his paternal grandma??? Let's just assume she had been trying to discipline him, not venting her frustration or easily provoked anger on him.

Reminder to self: Stay positive.

During those commotions, he cried dreamily for daddy and water.

My turn to struggle with him, but I was happy to hear him ask for daddy especially!

I'm glad they bonded in my absence.

Daddy has to be credited for his efforts at entertaining the kids, the sleepless nights, the rushing between places, tolerating insensitive remarks and more that I can't exactly name at this point.

He could have shut himself in the other room and hide with AN as I struggled with ER that night (finally the ball is not in his court!), but he didn't. He kept coming out to check on us and kept me company till ER calmed down.

ER woke up screaming a few times that night, and daddy came to help just as often.

I am thankful for you dear. I just have not mentioned it enough.

Thanks for setting aside work to settle the kids despite the busy schedule back in the office.

If ever any strong virus or venomous bugs has to attack any of us again, I'll gladly be the victim again.

Lol!

But I know you rather be the one relaxing in hospital the next time.

Love you dear.

3 comments:

  1. I beat u har!!! Love this post!
    I wonder if mine cud put Enya to sleep anot.
    The power of mems, and the lack of it. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. U try getting yourself hospitalised. Lol! William cannot also must can. But he'll fear Enya for the few days after that. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaaa...then he will realised how great mummy has been. Not just sit there pop out mems. Lol

    ReplyDelete