Thursday, April 7, 2011

Desitin, the bum saver

AN never had nappy rash. A tube of Pureen nappy rash cream lasted her more than a year and we found no reason to get a second tube.

ER is different. I don't know how often babies get rashes from soiled diapers but ER on average, gets bumps on his butt that lasts abt 2 days out of 7 in a week. These bumps range from tiny pimple-like ones, to patchy ones that remind me of acne.

We stocked up on Desitin before returning to Singapore and I got Mr Liow to buy more during his December trip. A 4oz tube lasts ER about 1.5months, or less. I follow the instructions that says "apply generously".

Having tried the original Desitin (purple packaging), creamy (blue), Mustela and Earth Baby, the purple Desitin wins them all, hands down!

It's thick and coats ER's butt like clay mask. There are days when there is no need to change his diapers in the middle of the night and by next morning, his butt is still coated with that layer of white. It's pee-and-poO-proof.

This time, we got Mr Liow's friend to help us get the 16oz tub. It's 4 tubes combined in one big tub. This should be enough to cover his butt for the next 6 months, or even longer because I got 2 tubes of Mustela ones while waiting for his friend to return.

Long live Desitin! Please never go out of business.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

5 comments:

  1. the webby said the creamy is for daily use while the original is stronger, use only when there's bad rashes. I just stocked up mine through an online spree.
    $6 for a 2oz original and $17 for 2x4oz creamy. Consider cheap anot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, the original is stronger (zinc oxide 40% cmp to the creamy at 12%). I started with creamy and after using original, will just stick to original. hehe.

    It's cheaper (those u got). Most plc in sgp (kiddy palace) sell them at $12 each.

    But cmp to USA prices I think there cheaper. I got the 16oz at USD$13. I think the 4oz are abt USD$5-$6?

    Check out drugstore.com for prices. Shld not be too much difference elsewhere. :)

    But the catch is, the original paste is so thick that it's hard to remove from elsewhere. Like if u happen to stain Enya's clothings or something, it takes a while to wash it out as compare to usual 12% zinc oxide rash creams which u can just wipe away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh ya,btw, I continued using original paste because I did a search and found nothing harmful about higher zinc oxide (other than side effects that I don't notice in ER). hee. It does protect ER's bum bum better so I stuck with it. Please let me know if I'm wrong coz I dun want ER to suffer from my ignorance. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm still a newbiee!! have to test and try + learn from 'old bird' like u. LOL.
    Anyway i came across a calendular cream by california baby which promises to heal most bad skin prob too. U tried before?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tried before. I used it on AN as a moisturiser. Not so sure about the healing properties though. We got it for her that time because she had allergic reaction to Amoxycilin and had bad itchy rashes all over her body. Was hoping it helped provide some relief.

    I trust the whole California Baby line of products coz they use essential oils! hehe. Both kids are using California Baby Shampoo and body wash, AN using the hair conditioner, and sunscreen stick, and bubble bath. Love the smell of lavender. Also, it's tested and proven that the bodywash doesn't sting the eye! I got some into AN's eye this morning. Other than discomfort coz something got into her eye, she didn't complain that it stung her eye, else she'd be screaming in pain. hee.

    Another brand I like is Mustela but this one smells like perfume and I don't know why they make baby products that smell like perfume. It's very mild too. I find it less drying than California Baby in fact...but perfume vs essential oil..most prefer the latter for babies. :)

    ReplyDelete